Saturday, September 19, 2009

Delights of First Year Teaching

My portable/duplex shared with Mrs. Martin (another 4th grade intern).
I came back from the long Labor Day Weekend to find it had snowed in my classroom!
But wait, are those ceiling tiles?!
The sky has fallen, the sky has fallen! We must tell the President!
The entire classroom is flooded...and smells of wet dogs.

Light fixtures are hanging down.
What did we do? We held class in the "Little Theater"!

My wet floorboards with no more cupboards. :(

Unfortunately our swamp cooler had been leaking all school year. Fortunately each day I would update our janitor on the status of our room and each day he would be up on the roof working on it. Fortunately the week before Labor Day it wasn't leaking... at least not onto the floor. Unfortunately it was leaking into the ceiling causing the ceiling to fall down and continue leaking onto our floor over the weekend. Fortunately I discovered it. Unfortunately I had to inform the principal. Fortunately the kids loved having class in the Little Theater. Unfortunately we had no regular teaching materials for a week. Fortunately we moved back in on Monday and have a new ceiling and new carpet!

Oh the joys of teaching in a portable!


1 comment: