Monday, December 28, 2015

2015


Merry Christmas from the Laws!

            It has fallen on me (David) to write a Christmas letter. I’m 29 years old and I have never done this. What I know of Christmas letters is that each family member gets a blurb, there are recaps of big events, and then maybe a little Christmas thought. I believe if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, so here we go.

            Evelyn – Evy had a year of firsts. Her first (real) words, first steps (and many more since then), and first birthday (now 14 months). Her favorite things right now are talking about everything she sees, reading books in what she calls her “spot” which is mom or dad’s lap, and talking on the phone, or TV remote, or whatever she puts up to her ear. I have come to realize that a rewarding part of being a parent is watching your children do things on their own that you have tried to teach them. Just a few nights ago after visiting at my sister’s house, I told Evelyn that we had to go home. She immediately went to my sister and gave her a hug and a kiss and said bye-bye. It was completely un-coaxed and made me proud. She is the greatest gift I have ever received. She makes everyone smile and has such personality already.

            Deidra – Deidra keeps our family running on all cylinders. She loves being a mom and feels blessed that she can stay home with Evelyn. When we decided that she would stay home and leave teaching, I wasn’t sure how it would all work and how she would transition. But what I have discovered is that Deidra, no matter what she is doing, always excels and rarely complains. Watching her be a mom and run a household has given me many moments of pause while I admire the things she does. I am grateful to have her in my life. Besides me gushing about how wonderful she is, Deidra continues to love craft making, sewing, reading, and working in the church primary presidency.

            Me – I am still a lawyer at Davis, Arneil Law Firm in Wenatchee. I’m still the newest attorney, which gives me coveted roles like buyer of office snacks, Apple Blossom award presenter, and master of ceremonies at the office Christmas party. Despite my new-lawyer duties, I truly ended up in a great position. I’m glad the firm took a chance on me. When I’m not doing the lawyer gig, I spend time with Deidra and Evy and we make trips to see the family that we have nearby. After I entered the full-time work force, I learned that the greatest stress relief for me was being with family. Fishing and golf are good too. Do I sound like a lawyer yet?

            Year Recap – Speaking of family, some of the highlights of this year were going to Nevada to see my mom’s family. We got to introduce Evelyn to her Great-grandma Harris and the rest of the clan there. Over Thanksgiving we went to Utah, and every member of Deidra’s immediate family was present. We can now say that Evelyn has met all of her grandparents and living great-grandparents, as well as all her aunts, uncles, and cousins. This year has flown, and honestly we have spent it enjoying Evy and family.

            Christmas Thought – I’ve seen Christmas come and go a few times in my life. I’ve spent most Christmases with family, but I’ve spent a couple of them far from home. I’ve almost always been happy at Christmas, but I remember one lonely Christmas on my mission in Slovakia that had me reaching for comfort. I won’t say that it was the worst Christmas ever, because I know there are many who have much greater challenges than me. But wherever a person is on Christmas, whatever they are feeling, and whatever they are facing in their life, the reason we celebrate Christmas is because of hope that comes from the birth of the Savior Jesus Christ. He came to this earth, and because He loved us, He descended below all things, suffering for our pains, sicknesses, sins, and weakness. He overcame them all. If we rely on His power, we can also overcome all our challenges. This gift is given to all who seek Him. This is why I believe the wise men are part of the Christmas story. They show us how we should endeavor to find a place in our lives for the Savior. This is my hope for you this year.

                                                                        With love from David, Deidra, and Evelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment